Are you having a hard time selling your products in your store in spite of all the efforts you make to build that product and market it? Do you want to scale your business to the next level but not able to convince your customers irrespective of the top-notch business you do?
Do you find yourself in a place where you do all kinds of advertisements for your products and business, yet not able to obtain a higher conversion rate?
Well, do you know that people don’t just believe the advertisements they see and that there is something more important than only fancy posters to convince your customers to buy your product?
Really? Yes, most customers will not consider your business or buying your product unless they have read reviews about your company and product from other customers.
As per Spiegel Research center, nearly 95% of shoppers read online reviews before making a purchase and 72% of customers don’t take action until they have read reviews as per Testimonial Engine.
Here are some more facts if you still doubt it:
- As per BrightLocal, 60% of people read online reviews for going to a local restaurant or cafe
- 57% of consumers will use a business only if it has 4 or more stars
- 73% of consumers trust a local business more after reading positive reviews
That’s the power of having reviews for your product or your business. In the increasing competition for every product, people do not just purchase when they see your ad’s in the search engine or social media. They look for genuine reviews and feedback from other customers which creates that sense of trust and hope on your product or business.
So as a retailer, it should be your top priority to make sure all your products or businesses have a handful of reviews because retailers that choose not to feature ratings and reviews risk losing customers to a site that does.
So being convinced that you need to have reviews for your site, let’s consider how different users use the review plugin, what are some of the best WordPress reviews plugins available in the market, their pro’s and cons and much more.
There are basically three types of people who will need a review plugin.
- One is the reviewers are looking for affiliates by reviewing any products, business, books, etc or who is having a review website
- Second is the product owners who are selling products via an online store and are looking for reviews from their customers who purchase their products to increase social proof and gain more conversion
- The third is the business owners who are having an online or local business and looking for user reviews to gain more trust and credibility for their business
While on the outside all may look to be the same when it comes to collecting reviews, there is some significant feature difference which many of us fail to note down. Seriously, sometimes what is needed for a business review will never be useful for the one who is selling a product or for the one who is reviewing different products/services and the same with others too.
This lack of understanding has led many users to choose a random review plugin and spend many dollars on it finding it to make a no change in their product or business or website not knowing they need to look for a plugin which will best suit their needs.
In this article, I will write a detailed explanation on what you should be looking for in a review plugin if you are going to write reviews of various products/services on your website or if you are selling a product or if you own a business. Also, which plugins will be suitable for you, their pro’s and cons and much more.
First, let’s understand what you should be looking for when you fall into any of these three categories:
I) If you are a blogger or a website owner who will be rating different services/contents/products, these are the features you should be looking for:
- Comparison Table: When you are reviewing different services or products, the most important thing you will need is a comparison table which will let the users compare different products in a single table and decide which will be best for them.
- Listing Table: Sometimes you may not be just reviewing every single service/product, you may also want every review to be listed in a separate table together so that the users could look for everything and can choose which one they want. So Listing table is something you will need most as a reviewer.
- Buy/Affiliate button: This is one of the most important features you should be looking for if you are reviewing a product. Displaying ‘Buy’ button within the review could be more beneficial so that the users can buy the product directly when they are satisfied reading your review which will help you generate money.
- User Rating: Allowing the users rate their opinion is yet another important feature you should have because people may think you of paid guy who is writing good reviews by just getting money from them. So they are looking for other customers opinion who are using those products so that you could gain more trust and credibility.
- Style Customisation: As you will be reviewing different services and contents, it would be great if you have different style options for various reviews, different types of ratings (Like Star, percentage, points, etc.), Different templates, etc.. so that your website won’t look monotonous, and your readers may lose interest in reading your reviews.
II) If you are a product owner and you are looking to collect reviews from your customers and displaying it on your site, you might look for these:
- Review Reminders: This is one of the most important features you should be looking for as a product owner. Most customers won’t worry about reviewing your product even though they are satisfied with your product. Review reminders will send them an automatic email reminding them to review your product which they purchased recently.
- Review for discounts: There is a higher possibility for a customer reviewing your product if they are offered with something beneficial for them. So an Automatic email asking for a review in return for a coupon or an offer will definitely be helpful for a product owner.
- Filtering options: While users may want to read the reviews of your product, they may not want to read all the reviews, instead only something they are looking for. So filtering reviews by the score, rating, positive reviews, negative reviews, product name or product author, etc.. will be most beneficial for users.
- Some other features like Allowing the users to upload pictures in reviews so they can showcase how they use your product, allowing the user to comment or rate on a review and more importantly allowing users to flag inappropriate to avoid abusive reviews will be extremely beneficial in the context of product reviews.
III) If you are a business owner and if you are looking for reviews plugins, these are the things you must consider:
- Displaying Google places reviews on your site: Say you have a local cafe business. Most people will choose a cafe by seeing the reviews on google places. So when you place the google places reviews of your cafe on your website, it boosts the customer confidence.
- Google Rich Snippets: A Survey says 97% of people looked online for local businesses in 2017. So when your plugin allows Google rich snippets using schema.org standardized code, your reviews are going to show up in the google search results which in turn will bring tons of traffic to both your website and business.
- User Submission: Allowing users to submit their reviews on your site using a review submission form is yet another critical feature you need to look for a business review plugin as it increases more trust over your business.
- Facebook and Yelp Business Reviews: Apart from Google, many businesses do need reviews from Facebook and Yelp also, so allowing reviews from Facebook and Yelp to embed on your site will also be needful.
So to sum up everything, If you are are a reviewer, reviewing different products and services, go for something which will allow you to do a comparison table, listing table, to get an affiliate button, which allows many styles, etc.
If you are a product owner, you won’t find a much need for affiliate button or style customisations but something like review reminders, review for discounts and more filtering options, etc..
While if you are looking reviews for your business, you need something which will embed reviews on your site from other popular review sites like Google places, Facebook, Yelp, etc.
I believe, by now you have got a rough idea on different types of reviews, which one you are looking for and what features you should be looking.
So now having a clear view of these different types, let’s look at some of the famous WordPress plugins in these three different types.
WORDPRESS REVIEW PLUGINS FOR WEBSITE & REVIEWERS:
So, If you are a blogger writing reviews for different products/contents or if you are someone looking to create a review websites, you might consider either of these plugins which has been specially built for you.
WP Review is one of the most popular review plugins which has its primary focus on users who are planning to create review sites. This plugin has around 70,000 free active installs (As per Feb 2019) and has many Pro users also.
- They have three rating system: one is the star rating system, the other is the percentage rating system and the point rating system.
- It has support for 14 different types of Rich snippets like Book Rich snippet, Game rich snippet, Movie Rich snippet, etc. According to the content you are reviewing, you can use either of these snippets.
- It has different pre-defined templates which you can use according to the type of content you are reviewing.
- You can place the reviews anywhere before the content or after the content and also custom location using their shortcode.
- They have a right understanding over their customer segment they are targeting on and have built features accordingly like comparison table and reviews listing table which is extremely necessary for someone who will be reviewing different products/services.
- The customization they allow is unbelievable like the option to change global colors and also individual review colors, unlimited color option, choosing which field to ask for, require and show and even the support for adding your own custom fields.
- Allowing different types of Rich snippets instead to just go for a single snippet is where they have shown their commitment to their customer segment. No person who has less understanding of their customers can come up with this powerful idea.
- While they have built features which are precisely needed for their customer segment, every feature which a reviewer needs like a comparison table, listing table, etc. are inside the Pro version.
- Allowing the user to review, without which there is no benefit in using a review plugin is also hidden in the Pro version which I feel would have disappointed many customers.
- To say honestly, Free version doesn’t have much to offer instead just impressing you and pushing you to buy the Pro.
WP PRODUCT REVIEW:
WP Product Review is yet another review plugin which will be useful for reviewers, but this will be more specific to a product review. If you are reviewing only products, this plugin will be a good choice than to go for the previous one.
- It allows to include an affiliate button for reviews which will let the reviewers generate revenue for reviewing that product.
- It also allows the user review where the user can review the product. The exciting part is that you can change the original review according to the user review by using their “visitor review influence” option and selecting the percentage effect on the original rating.
- It also has a Pro’s section and Con’s section where you can include both the advantages and disadvantages of the product in the review section itself.
- The latest and top products can be displayed using their widgets.
- The Amazon integration feature which automatically gets the product name, image, affiliate link and price transferred from Amazon.com shows how well this product has targeted the users who review the products alone.
- Comparison table which automatically generates the comparison tables from existing reviews is an impressive feature and much needed for a product reviewer.
- It saves much of your time by allowing many things to be automatic.
- Like the WP Review Pro, the most important features like Comparison table and the Listing table couldn’t be seen in the Free version.
- The price is very costly considering that their product can be best used only if he/she is reviewing a product while not much beneficial if he/she is reviewing any other services or content. Price can be a little less.
- They don’t have much style customization compared to WP Review Pro.
- The Amazon integration feature and front-end review submission are beyond their basic Pro version which is more expensive.
- It would have been considerable if their price differences are only with the number of domains used, but even certain essential features cannot be used in the Preliminary pro plan.
WORDPRESS PRODUCT REVIEW PLUGINS:
If you are a store/product owner and looking to collect reviews for your products, you can try any of these below plugins instead to go for the previous ones we have discussed which will not be of much benefit to your need.
Customer Reviews for Woocommerce:
Compared to the plugins which are long available but slowly becoming inactive in recent years, this guy is a fresh one with powerful features designed especially for Woocommerce.
The best thing about “Customer Reviews for Woocommerce” is that it has been built specifically for a single customer segment which is the users who are selling a product and looking to get reviews for their products.
The hardest thing for any Woocommerce store owner is to make the customers review their product.
- Automatic reminder Emails will be sent to customers who recently purchased a product asking for the review.
- You can set a single review form which includes questions about all products in the order so that you can get a review of several products at one shot. The cool thing is after submission of the review forms, the plugin will transfer reviews to pages of individual products.
- You can generate new coupons for customers who review their purchases and can set emails to be sent with the newly generated coupon or existing coupon once they have submitted the review.
- It has all the features which a product owner will need and more surprisingly all to be free
- It makes the review process so simple and automatic that you don’t have to break your heads in collecting reviews from every single customer.
- You can also import the reviews of your product from Amazon or eBay using a CSV file.
- One major disadvantage is that it does not allow you to collect reviews on your domain name while the review invitation emails are sent via CR which is an independent service for verification of customer reviews.
- So that means, the customers are leaving their review on a third party domain which will then connect back to your website.
- You can though customize the “From” Email Address and “From” name, but it is available only in the Pro version. While considering the extensive free features they provide, this is much acceptable.
ULTIMATE REVIEWS PLUGIN:
Ultimate Reviews is yet another upcoming product review plugin which is neatly targeted on store owners without including random features which will never be useful for them.
I think that is very important as a plugin developer to understand their customer segment completely and to build features which will be extremely useful for them instead to build all fancy features just to showcase a powerful plugin which will be of no use.
Ultimate reviews have a clear understanding of their customer segment and have built features only which will be beneficial for them.
- It has a user submission form where it allows the users to submit their reviews under every product.
- It allows you to create additional review fields such as value, appearance, quality, etc. It not only allows the star rating system but also has others such as a point and percentage rating system.
- It has integrations with Woocommerce where a new reviews tab can be included in every of your product.
- You can choose to send a reminder to review after an order has been set and can also send follow-up emails.
- It is never confused with many unwanted features and has features built only for someone who needs a product review plugin.
- It provides much styling option which no review plugins focus. You can customize almost everything and also allows the possibility of adding custom CSS in their settings itself.
- It allows some cool features like access restrictions in reviewing like “Requires login,” “Require Admin approval” and much more which will prevent many unwanted and fake reviews.
- While it allows many features for product reviews, most features are hidden behind the premium version while it provides only minimal possibilities in the free version.
- Woocommerce integrations is a much simpler and a critical feature which is also pushed to the premium version. This should be allowed in the free version in my personal opinion.
- While it does have automatic reminders asking for reviews, this is also under Pro version which the “Customer Reviews for Woocommerce” has it in their free.
WORDPRESS BUSINESS REVIEW PLUGINS:
If you own a business, you need to look for a specific feature which is necessary for a business rather to just go with Product review plugins. Here are the plugins which you can look for if you are looking for a review plugin for your business.
WP Business Reviews:
This Guy is one of the most popular review plugins for Business people. This Plugin allows you to display your best reviews from many platforms like Google, Yelp, Facebook right on your website which will increase the customer confidence.
- Nowadays, no-one trusts your business unless they have read about you from any popular review websites. This plugin helps you to pull reviews from famous review sites like Google place, Facebook, Yelp, Yellow pages and place them on your site in a neatly arranged manner.
- You can set the minimum rating allowed and ensure that only your best reviews are promoted on your website.
- You can place the reviews anywhere you wish using their widgets and shortcode builders.
- You can mix the reviews obtained from multiple platforms and place it on your site rather than just collecting from one platform. Placing your reviews collected from different platforms will build the customers confidence in your brand/business.
- Research shows that 73% of consumers trust a business more if they have positive reviews. This plugin allows you to filter negative reviews which will never show up the negative reviews on your site.
- They have a powerful builder which makes your work much simpler in collecting reviews, sorting it and grouping it together.
- Many of their users are facing issues while they are trying to generate the Google API which should be taken care of by their team soon.
- They don’t allow any other features which might be beneficial for business reviews but they have focused only on Embedding reviews from other review platforms which I feel is a very narrowed customer segment.
- The customisation is very less compared to the WP Review Slider Pro which we are going to see next.
WP REVIEW SLIDER PRO:
WP Review Slider Pro is yet another impressive business review plugin which will quickly grab your reviews from various review platforms like Google, Yelp, Tripadvisor, etc and will display them in a slider format in your website.
- You can easily grab reviews from your Facebook page, Yelp, Trip Advisor, Airbnb or Google places and you can place it in a slider format in your website. You can also display them in Grid or List format if you do not want to display it in Slider format.
- You can set up Email notifications which will automatically mail you when the plugin finds a negative review or a positive review. You can set it as you wish
- Front-end submission form which will let your users to submit reviews for your products or testimonials for your business.
- Summary badges which will let you display the average rating based on the number of reviews of various review platforms.
- While WP Business reviews cannot be used on a broader segment, this plugin can be used in both ways if you have a product or if you own a business. They have built features which will be useful for both segments.
- This is highly customisable which has eight different templates you can choose from, and change the colors, border radius, date format and even change the star icon if you wish. Besides this, you also have an option to add your own custom CSS.
- Another exciting feature is they have synchronised the plugin with Woocommerce reviews which means when you get a new Woocommerce review it will be automatically inserted into this plugin and you can display your product review in a slider format in your homepage. This will be extremely if you are selling a product via Woocommerce.
- The Price is much cheaper compared to WP business review, can say that this is much cheaper compared to all other review plugins.
I feel this guy is the best in the market and made every effort to create a product which will be most beneficial for his customers. With that said, they can focus on building features in the future which will be helpful for product owners because for now, except “Woocommerce Synchronisation” there is not much to offer for the product owners.
I will personally recommend this guy compared to others if you are looking for a business review plugin as he has so much to offer you in a very less cost. (P.S, I don’t have any personal relationship with this plugin, nor I am paid to say this. You can try it on your own and compare it with others. The choice is yours).
So, I think I have covered almost everything I could for you to choose a review plugin. I will love to hear from you if I have missed an important feature which will be beneficial, the review plugin which you are already using and how this article has helped you. Cheers.