A self-hosted WooCommerce Point of Sale (POS) system is a smart alternative for a costlier hosted standalone POS systems such as Vend, Shopify POS, etc., It can also be used by ecommerce brands who want to open a retail outlet for sales.
WooCommerce POS plugin integrates to your WooCommerce web store and gives it the front end Point of Sale (POS) functionality. The data is stored on your WooCommerce store, and the POS can be used on a browser.
A good POS should hold all the tracks for customers and their respective orders with an eye on business loyalty programs, which in return results in better shopper experience. The main things to check while choosing a POS are the list of supported devices and browsers, payment methods and gateways, and the options on the POS interface. (Tax, Shipping, etc.,)
Also, if you are interested in knowing what other Woocommerce plugins you might need, you could read our list of best Woocommerce must have plugins. If you are new to Woocommerce, here’s our guide to create your own Ecommerce website using Woocommerce.
Listed below are the best WooCommerce Point of Sale (POS) plugins for your retail store.
WooCommerce POS by Kilbot is a free plugin for giving your WooCommerce store a Point of Sale (POS) feature so that you can take orders manually using multiple devices. It can be easily integrated with your WooCommerce store, and you can even designate your products as POS or Online only products.
Supported Browsers – Works well with all modern browsers
Payment Gateways – PayPal standard in the free version. Pro version gives you the option to use any WooCommerce Payment Gateways
Supported Devices – Interface is responsive with any type of device (PC, Tablet, Mobile), Non-encrypting card readers can be connected, works well with receipt printers and general purpose barcode scanners connected via – Bluetooth
WooCommerce POS Free plugin features
Though the Pro version has really powerful features, the free plugin has some good POS features.
- Barcode scanning with Hotkey
- Can edit Cart items and change product title, price and tax rate on the fly
- Options to add and edit taxes, Shipping rates, and additional charges.
WooCommerce POS Pro features
The Pro version is compelling and has advanced POS features.
- Can create multiple stores with multiple tax rates and custom receipts
- Serve multiple customers at the same time
- Use any WooCommerce payment gateway
- Quickly update customer details and view previous order information like a CRM
- Get advanced reports
WooCommerce Point of Sale
WooCommerce Point of Sale by ActualityExtensions is one of the earliest of POS plugins, but it still works. It has limited payment gateways, but the given payment gateways work without problems.
Supported Browsers – t works best with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Should work with all latest browsers.
Payment Gateways – Paypal, Stripe and Chip and PIN.
Supported Devices – It can be integrated with Barcode scanners, Magnetic Card readers and Receipt Printers.
- Has all the necessary POS features.
- Can be integrated with Advanced Custom Fields plugins to add custom fields for Customer and Order data.
- Can be integrated with Cash Manager to manage cash flow in the retail store.
- Compatible with many WooCommerce extensions like Checkout field editor, Bookings, and Subscriptions.
Point of Sale System for WooCommerce
Point of Sale System for WooCommerce by Webkul gives a retail store function for your existing online WooCommerce store. The physical stores will have a POS front-end management system for which the admin can assign a store agent who can efficiently manage the sales and customers at that particular store.
POS system can work both online and offline with the feature to synchronize all the sales and customer data of the offline store with the online store whenever going online.
Payments – It has options for Cash or Card payments. It does not support any payment gateways of WooCommerce.
Supported Devices – It will work with devices having 1280 screen resolution or above. It can be connected with barcode printers, barcode scanners, and the order invoice receipt printers.
Supported Browsers – It works well with all recent browsers.
- Create and manage multiple POS outlets.
- Apply discounts and offers
- Add the custom product to the cart
- POS system work in online and offline mode both.
There is a POS Order Return add-on to manage refunds which needs to be bought separately.
Open POS plugin allows you to connect the WooCommerce plugin to your retail store outlet via a Point of Sale (POS). It has good integrations with WordPress and WooCommerce.
Payment options – It gives you PayPal checkout and credit card via Stripe.
Supported Devices and Browsers – It works well with all recent devices and browsers. You can contact support if you have a specific device in mind.
Best POS features
- It is the only available plugin with features requires for Restaurant / Cafe POS such as Table Management, Merge Table, Transfer table, and Kitchen View Screen.
- It works with a Camera Barcode scanner.
- It supports multiple outlets with each outlet having multiple registers.
- You can manage cash balance on multiple registers.
The only negative of this plugin is that it doesn’t provide integrations with Payment gateways of your WooCommerce store.
Square Point of Sale
Square Point of Sale is a cloud-based POS software that can be linked to your WooCommerce store to give it a retail POS functionality.
Square is mainly a payment processor and processing payments using Square is very easy. They charge you some percentage for every payment you receive. Square payments gives you a POS application which can be installed and used on Apple, Android and Windows devices.
There is a free plan for which you could sign up. Signup for Square POS now!
Unlike other tools mentioned here, Square is not an integrated POS system but a standalone POS system which can be linked to your WooCommerce store to migrate & synchronize your products between Square & WooCommerce.
WooSquare Pro plugin helps you to migrate & synchronize your products and categories between Square & WooCommerce. It even goes one step further and allows you to pay with Square at WooCommerce Checkout.
- Auto Synchronization – all standard product data can be synchronized between WooCommerce and Square POS including price, quantity, categories, images, variations, etc
- Allows the admin to manage Refunds between WooCommerce and Square.
- It supports Product and Variations with multiple attributes.
It also has paid WooCommerce to Square Order Sync add-on to send item information like taxes, discount, and breakdown of items from WooCommerce to Square dashboard.
WooCommerce integration for other cloud-based Point of Sale systems
Integrating WooCommerce and cloud-based Point of Sale systems is fairly a new idea because traditionally retail stores and ecommerce stores were separate ideas and entities. But now ecommerce brands are opening retail outlets, and retail stores are opening ecommerce outlets.
The only cloud-based standalone POS system with proper WooCommerce integration plugin is Square POS. But many developers are working on making WooCommerce integration plugins for other POS systems such as Vend, Clover, etc., and beta plugins are available.
One this is sure, we can expect more POS companies to provide WooCommerce integration and who knows, Automatic the company behind WooCommerce itself could launch a POS product.