Over the last few decades, powerful software has touched every sphere of our lives. The education industry is no different. Particularly for corporate training needs, diverse small and big enterprises need software that helps train their staff for a variety of tasks. Other than the subjects of training, it is quite crucial to create, track, and distribute training content. It is where a Learning Management System (LMS) plays a vital role.
Before we move on to see the best LMS software, let’s see a brief description of LMS and its purpose.
What is a Learning Management System (LMS)?
In simple words, an LMS is a digital learning platform. Its utility can be extracted from its abbreviation:
- L – stands for learning; It means that using an LMS, an enterprise can create online courses and training materials to boost its in-house expertise.
- M – stands for management; It means that the administrators of the courses can easily manage the courses to improve the efficiency and skills of members across various teams.
- S – stands for the system; It means that the software is meant to automate tedious tasks, such as grading, report creation, and statistics processing.
An LMS is a software application designed to administer, document, track, and deliver educational courses or training programs. Although the concept of LMS software emerged from e-learning mode in the education sector in the late 1990s, a significant proportion of the LMS industry is dedicated to the corporate market these days. Amidst the rising competition in this industry, you can find a wide variety of LMS software, each of which can be considered a powerhouse of an effective corporate learning strategy.
In the corporate market, LMS software is used to deploy learning strategies for formal as well as experiential formats. With the recent advancements in e-learning technology, popular LMS software is also meant for data collection and support activities to boost productivity and ensure consistent learning. The global LMS market is expected to grow at a fast pace, given the rising demands of e-learning.
Top 10 LMS Software in 2020
Here is a list of the best LMS software in 2020 for you to choose, for any purpose such as LMS for Schools, Colleges, Business, Corporate training, and more.
LearnDash is an LMS for WordPress websites used by various organizations, universities, and entrepreneurs across the globe to create and sell e-learning courses. Its integrated structure has been designed based on the learning programs used by Fortune 500 companies.
It is the go-to choice for universities to create, deliver, and track e-learning courses for higher education.
Primary Features of LearnDash LMS:
- Easy to create online courses, quizzes, and offer certificates
- Straight-forward means of revenue generation and easy to set the prices of online courses
- Can Drip-feed content to deliver content automatically as per the defined schedule
- Offer rewards to learners in the form of badges, points, and certificates
- Easy to interact with the learners based on their actions while learning
- Complete control over the course prices, members, user groups and course tracking
- Can send automated emails
- Easy integration with various payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and 2Checkout
Self-Hosted and WordPress Platform
LearnDash LMS is not a stand-alone software but a WordPress plugin that upon activation of which several items get added to a WordPress website. When you use LearnDash, you inherit all the advantages that come along with WordPress such as customization, flexibility, including new menu items, custom post types, taxonomies for courses and lessons, and new widgets.
It is the only self-hosted solution on this list. What does this mean for you? It means that is very affordable and you don’t pay any monthly subscription that comes with other premium LMS software.
Also, they don’t charge for the number of users or ask for a percentage of your revenue. All these advantages make LearnDash the best LMS software comparing all the pros and cons.
Adobe Captivate Prime LMS
Next in the list is Adobe Captivate Prime – a comprehensive LMS with a unique learner-first approach. It allows you easy management of end-to-end training across the corporate sector. It has been designed for various user types, including trainees, corporate trainers, sales pros, and compliance team members.
It is an award-winning LMS software that delivers modern learning experience to your learners. It has also been recognized by leading analysts of top corporations in the world for its impressive features and benefits.
Primary Features of Adobe Captivate Prime LMS:
- Automated content curation to keep a check on the quality of learner content based on AI and ML algorithms
- Easy to create and update discussion boards for learners to enable logical grouping of information
- Social learning feed for learners to stay updated about the activities of peers
- Easy to create polls and invite responses
- Activity tracker for discussion boards
- Easy to assign skill-based learning plans to employee cohorts
- Industry-leading features for compliance training
Moodle stands as an acronym for ‘Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment’. It is a free, open-source LMS written using PHP language and is distributed under the GNU General Public License. It has been designed to help educators in creating online courses. It is a highly scalable LMS that you can scale from a single-teacher site to a university site accessible to thousands of students.
The popularity of this LMS can be gauged from the fact that more than 1,00,000 sites have been registered worldwide. You can use Moodle LMS as per your needs as a teacher or an administrator.
Primary Features of Moodle LMS:
- Easy to use, responsive interface
- Personalized dashboard displaying current, past, and future courses
- Collaborative tools and database activities
- All-in-one calendar to keep track of the company’s calendar, course deadlines, and group meetings
- Quick and easy integration with cloud storage services like OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive
- Automatic alerts for new assignments and deadlines
- Private messaging system
- Progress tracking for individual activities and at the course level
It is a cloud-based LMS designed for institutions catering to the K-5 group and above till higher education. It is a scalable platform designed for diverse educational organizations, be it individual classrooms to universities. It has been designed to streamline various digital tools and content to simplify the learner’s experience.
Canva LMS has a robust set of integrated learning products while also elevating learning experience.
Primary Features of Canvas LMS:
- Easy to create engaging courses
- Easy to build learning objectives using Outcomes and SpeedGrader
- Efficient alignment of grades on assignments and quizzes using rubrics
- Provides the for students to collaborate with peers
- Easy integration with several educational technology tools and apps like Google for Education and Office 365
- Easy to communicate with a group of students, individual student or even with their parents
SAP Litmos LMS
SAP Litmos is a cloud-based platform that enables training professionals in smart enterprises to create and manage training programs from a centralized environment. It can be considered the unification of virtual training, classrooms, mobile as well as social learning. It has been designed with a myriad of features to help trainers collaborate, create, and track web-based training courses. Using this LMS, you can automate various burdensome tasks to help align training with the company’s agendas.
Prime Features of SAP Litmos LMS:
- Easy to scale to millions of users
- Easy to author, distribute, and track online training courses globally
- Any-time, anywhere and any device access to online courses
- Multiple built-in features for higher user engagement, including quizzes, gamification, and leaderboards
- In-depth tracking and reporting to check the learners’ progress or create custom reports
- Instructor-led training module to schedule virtual training
- Easy to monetize online courses with pre-defined features and sell them via a digital storefront
- Real-time notifications about team and learner activities
- Automation of group enrollment and task assignment
Suitable for small to mid-sized businesses, Easy LMS is an advanced, cloud-based LMS software to provide online training to the workforce hired in an organization. With this LMS, you can easily create online training courses, exams, and customized certificates. Alongside this, it also has enterprise-friendly features for bigger organizations.
Easy LMS has been designed to ensure interactive learning experiences that benefit the users in the long run. You do not require technical skills to use it and can ask for support from its dedicated customer support desk.
Primary Features of Easy LMS:
- Unique course builder enriched with text, video and image elements
- Online exam creation facility
- Easy to embed courses on a website
- Single or multiple axis assessment tools
- Easy to create gamified quizzes
- Provides Multilingual support
- Mobile-friendly available on all devices
- White-labeling and branding possible
- No limit to the online courses you can create
- Easy to send automated invites to students
- Automated course certification
- Easy to create custom learning portals
TalentLMS is a highly configurable LMS based on cloud and is best known to facilitate online courses and seminars. Ideal for businesses of all sizes, this LMS helps in providing training to the employees to strengthen their career growth. It offers robust tools to create online courses and is also equipped with gamification and conferencing capabilities. Using this LMS, you can train various user groups, be it your employees, customers, or students.
This LMS software is mobile responsive, which means that the participants of your online training programs can access the seminars and courses as per their convenience.
Primary Features of TalentLMS:
- Easy to scale as your audience grows
- Enterprise-friendly features like multitenancy and Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Supports videoconferencing and gamification
- Support SCORM and xAPI
- Access to a library of pre-built courses
- No need to take backups
- Easy to sell and distribute courses online
- Minimalistic interface
Docebo is an AI-based LMS that can help you align the training needs of your organization with those of the targeted learners. Backed by Artificial Intelligence, it elevates the learning experiences while also automating several learning management processes. Using this LMS, you can automate learning activities for employees, customers, and partners.
Docebo Learn also facilitates social learning wherein the AI ensures that user content reaches the related learners.
Primary Features of Docebo LMS:
- Powerful UI for both learners and administrators
- Easy to create up to 1,000 pages using drag and drop widgets
- AI-powered automatic content tagging for course content analysis
- Automation of various error-prone admin tasks
- Easy access for managers into the team’s learning activities
- Observation checklists to allow admins and managers to observe compliance processes
- Easy to create and manage formal courses
- Easy to scale with its progressive suite of features
Totara Learn is one of the leading open enterprise LMSs that have been designed for employee learning needs. It provides a feature-rich platform that focuses on the employees’ training needs and objectives. This LMS is known to take the learning management to the next level for diverse organizations across various domains.
Its popularity can be anticipated from the fact that it is in use by more than 11 mn learners worldwide. It is highly suitable for corporate initiatives, such as employee onboarding, training, and certifications.
Primary Features of Totara Learn:
- Easy-to-use interface accessible across all devices
- It is a highly customizable open-source platform
- Easy to create and track certifications
- Can personalize goal setting using skills and competency tracking features
- You get personalized dashboards and graphical reporting
- Provides easy integration with HRIS and CRM
Best suited for mission-critical projects, iSpring Learn is an advanced LMS for large enterprises, non-profits, and small/medium businesses. Using this LMS, you can provide online training for compliance, customer training, and employee onboarding. It is quite easy to create an online training program using this LMS with the least fuss involved.
Primary Features of iSpring Learn:
- Unique built-in editor
- Easy to create e-courses using images, video, and quotes
- Intuitive design to launch e-learning quickly
- Easy to invite employees and keep track of their results
- Automatic assigning of courses to employees based on their job roles, and departments
- Easy integration with Zoom – video conferencing platform
- Unlimited storage space and Unlimited administrators
Hope our list of best LMS software has helped you to find the LMS software that best fits your purpose. If you want us to over more on LMS software or any specific software, do let us now.
Also, share your thoughts about this list in the comments section.