WooCommerce subscription plugins allows you to easily sell products and services with recurring payments. WooCommerce subscription plugins allow customers subscribe to your products/services and pay on a regular basis (weekly, monthly or annual).
Are you looking to create WooCommerce subscriptions on your online store? Do you want to create WooCommerce subscriptions for your videos, learning courses, podcasts, or whatever you might wish to offer to your customers in installments?
Below are some of the best WooCommerce subscription plugins in 2023, their key features, their pros, and cons their pricing.
YITH WooCommerce Subscription
YITH WooCommerce subscription plugin comes with free and premium options. It will let you create an unlimited subscription plan for simple, virtual, or any downloadable products for your WooCommerce store.
Key Features of YITH WooCommerce Subscriptions:
Simple and variable product subscriptions:
Subscriptions can be made for both simple and variable products. These products could have variable options for Subscription.
Multiple payment gateway methods:
It allows many payment methods like PayPal standard, YITH WooCommerce Stripe Premium, YITH WooCommerce Stripe Connect Premium, YITH PayPal Express Checkout for WooCommerce, and much more.
You can allow multiple subscriptions, which is more than one subscription for the same user. Not just this, you can also allow them to add more than one subscription to the same cart based on their chosen gateway.
Free Trial, Cancel and Renew subscriptions:
You can set a free trial period for your users after which they could purchase the Subscription. You can also allow the customers to cancel and renew the Subscription.
Automatic E-mail: You can set to send an automated e-mail based on conditions like expiring subscription plan, payment has been made, subscription plan canceled, paused or resumed and much more.
- There are many options for the admin and are very user-friendly.
- They have 30 rates of 5 stars out of 50 reviews. Most of the 5-star rating is for their support, which shows their commitment to the product.
- They are regularly updating the product and continuously bringing many new features.
- Expensive pricing
- Free YITH WooCommerce subscription version doesn’t have much to offer
- $199.99 for a single site
Subscriptions for WooCommerce:
Subscriptions for WooCommerce by WebToffee is one of the best WordPress plugins for managing subscriptions. Like any other WooCommerce products, you can create Subscription out of physical, virtual, or downloadable products.
This plugin is compatible with most of the WooCommerce add-on plugins like WooCommerce Membership plugin, Stripe, etc.
Key Features of Subscriptions for WooCommerce:
Simple and variable:
They can be used to create subscriptions for both simple and variable products. Simple subscriptions are typically set to include subscription price, interval, and subscription length. The variable subscription products are configured to include attributes/variations.
The plugin gives you considerable flexibility in setting up renewals where you can set a billing period daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly.
You can create a recurring subscription discount coupon, which when applied to the order will be used for every renewal. These coupons can be created as a fixed value of a % discount.
You can synchronize/align subscription renewals to occur on the same day for all subscribers irrespective of the date of purchase.
Automatic e-mails have been configured to notify the customer and the site owners for various statuses, canceled, expired, etc.
- Pricing is much cheaper compared to the previous two plugins.
- They have a 100% secure payment, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Most of their 5-star rating is for their excellent customer service.
- Their last update is Nov 2022 (As of May 2023) which shows they are still active and being regularly updated.
- They don’t have a free version.
- They have minimal features compared to the previous plugins.
- $89.00 for a single site
- $129 up to 5 sites
- $199 up to 25 sites
Sumo subscriptions is the most affordable plugin in this list. This plugin is available in the Envato market. This plugin is the most comprehensive and straightforward WooCommerce subscriptions plugin which you can use to create and sell subscription products.
Users can Select the Subscription Duration and the number of renewals for order Subscriptions. It comes with in-built PayPal and Stripe Payment gateway.
Key Features of Sumo Subscriptions:
- Free Trial and Paid Trial supported.
- Subscribers can switch between Automatic Subscription Renewal and Manual Subscription Renewal.
- It has an option to Include/Exclude Shipping Cost in Subscription Renewal.
- It also has an option to Include/Exclude Tax Cost in Subscription Renewal.
- They have a beautiful Master Log to record all transactions throughout the site.
- Payment reminder e-mails can be sent to subscribers.
- This is the cheapest plugin in the list.
- They have an average rating of 4.48 of 5 based on 88 ratings out of which 80% have given five stars.
- This plugin is very easy to use and customize. No coding is needed.
- Their last update is 18-Nov-2019 (as per May 2023) which shows they are fully into working on this product.
- $49 for 6-month Subscription.
- $65.50 for 12-month Subscription
WooCommerce Subscriptions (Official Extension)
WooCommerce Subscriptions plugin by ProsPress is a premium plugin sold on WooCommerce official website and so you have the guarantee that it has best integration with WooCommerce plugin.
With WooCommerce Subscriptions, you can create and manage products with recurring payments — payments that will give you residual revenue you can track and count on.
Key Features of WooCommerce Subscriptions:
Flexible Recurring Billing Schedules:
It gives you much flexibility in scheduling renewals for your subscription products. You can have multiple billing schedules according to your store needs.
25 Payment gateways:
They have integrated with over 25 payment gateways for automatic recurring payments.
You can use the limit subscription feature to limit a customer to one subscription.
They have Built-in renewal notifications which notify you and your customers when subscription payments have been processed.
They also provide you with a full detailed report which allows you to keep track of recurring revenue, number of active subscribers, and more.
- The plugin is straightforward and user-friendly.
- They have been highly rewarded for the customer service they provide.
- Simple set-up
- The plugin is very expensive compared to others
- They have a 3.3 rating out of 5, which is quite bad.
- They don’t have a free version.
- Personally, I would like the admin controls for setting up and starting subscriptions to be a little bit more straightforward.
- $$239 for a single site per year
Subscriptio is the last subscription plugin in this list which is available in the Envato market.
Key Features of Subscripto Plugin:
- This plugin allows you to sell subscriptions with WooCommerce, and all Subscription related actions will be handled automatically.
- It has the possibility where both shop managers and customers can pause and resume subscriptions. You can also disable this possibility for customers.
- It also gives you many configuration options like when reminders should be sent, the length of the suspension period, etc.
- They also have an integration with a WooCommerce Membership plugin to offer online memberships with recurring payments.
- They also have lots of hooks and filters for developers to use.
- This plugin is also much cheaper compared to other plugins.
- They have a 4.20 average out of 5 based on 160 ratings.
- The plugin hasn’t been updated since Oct 2021 (As of May 2023) which is scary to opt this plugin.
- $69 for a 6-month Subscription
- $93 for a 12-month Subscription
WP Simple Pay
If your business sells subscription as well as non-subscription products, WP Simple Pay plugin is meant for your needs. It is an elegant, well-designed plugin that supports both one-time and recurring payments without the need to write any code. It is built for the Stripe payment solution, which means you can easily create subscription plans using your Stripe account and link this plugin.
Key Features of WP Simple Pay Plugin
- Supports businesses of all sizes
- Easy to create subscription plans with trial periods, installment plans, or initial setup fees
- Supports non-card payment methods like Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.
- Payment security backed by Stripe
- Supports SCA or Secure Customer Authentication
- Easy to create customizable payment forms using drag and drop builder
- Supports multiple languages and currencies
The pricing of WP Simple Pay plugin starts at:
- $49.50 per year for Personal plan
- $99.50 per year for Plus plan
- $199.50 per year for Professional plan
Paid Memberships Pro
If you have a membership site over which you want to sell subscription products, then the Paid Memberships Pro is the most ideal plugin you need. It also acts as an alternative to WooCommerce Subscriptions and has been designed with a wide array of features to support your subscription-based business.
Key Features of Paid Memberships Pro Plugin
- Easy to create membership offerings with distinct pricing for different membership levels
- Supports multi-tiered memberships (Child-Parent account)
- Easy to sync member roles and levels
- Comes with eCommerce, invoicing, and payment related features
- Easy integration with Braintree, PayPal, Stripe, and other payment modes
- Easy to add trial periods to subscription-based memberships
You can buy this plugin at $247 per year for five sites maximum or $697 per year for 5 sites (Free version also available).