The eCommerce sphere across the globe is dominated by giant marketplaces where sellers can register to sell their products to a wide range of audiences. Amazon, eBay, Walmart, Alibaba, Newegg, Jet, etc., to name a few are some of the most popular marketplaces in the world visited by millions of customers every year.
Now, coming to the next thing – Do you want to create a marketplace, but by only using WordPress CMS?
You might have wondered if it is possible. But the truth says – Yes, it is.
Creating a Multivendor Marketplace with WordPress
WordPress, being a versatile content management system can be used to build websites of diverse kinds, simple or complex, including marketplaces. A lot of people do not know that one can create a marketplace portal using WordPress. They think this CMS is good only for small websites with less complicated functionalities, which is not true.
To extend the basic functionalities of this CMS and build a robust, fully functional marketplace portal, you need some of the best WordPress market plugins from its plugin’s library.
Just like there are numerous feature-rich WordPress marketplace themes to be used, there are several marketplaces plugins as well. They are simply the bundles packed by functions like product management, inventory management, commission settings, and much else.
Finding the best plugins for your marketplaces built with WordPress is not as easy as it may seem. However, you need not fret. Here are five handpicked WordPress market plugins you can choose for your marketplace project.
Dokan WordPress Multivendor Plugin
Considered one of the best WordPress marketplace plugins, Dokan is a WooCommerce multivendor marketplace plugin which helps build your own marketplace in the least time possible.
Key Features of Dokan Multivendor Plugin:
- Gives vendors a front-end dashboard to easily add and edit their products
- Both yourself and other vendors can sell products online through your Ecommerce marketplace with Dokan
- It reduces the development time considerably, which is critical in every marketplace development project
- Vendors can check and use detailed sales reports that are automatically generated through Dokan
- Also, there is a free Dokan Lite version available with some basic features which let’s you test this plugin on your website before buying the plugin
- Allows the vendors to personalize their dashboards the way they want
- Vendors can easily manage special offers for each product they sell
- Compatible with most of the WooCommerce themes
Some customers have complained about bad customer support experience. Could be a problem if you’re a beginner and would need lot of support to setup your Ecommerce marketplace.
The pricing starts from $149 for the Starter plan.
It is available in multiple versions such as Starter, Professional, Business and Enterprise; which you can choose as per your requirement.
YITH WooCommerce Multivendor plugin
YITH WooCommerce multivendor plugin is an easy and simple way to turn your Ecommerce website into a multivendor marketplace, then YITH has the best solution for you.
From a simple marketplace website, to as complex as a marketplace with high number of products from different suppliers, this WordPress marketplace plugin could help you.
Key Features of YITH WooCommerce Multi-Vendor plugin:
- One of the best things about this plugin is that you can choose the commission rates freely
- Assign different commission rates to the each vendor shops and even to the products
- Allow vendors to add and edit their own products by which you can avoid the pending status until the Admin approval
- Vendors can create discount Coupons and you can give them freedom to offer discounts or deals to customers and you can choose to calculate the commission for the discounted total or not
- You can pay your vendors automatically or manually through PayPal and Stripe payments and also through banks using IBAN/BIC (mainly for Europeans)
- Allows to create elaborate vendor profile by adding contact details and social network profiles gathered in a customizable header
- You can show address and the Google Map location for each vendor / shop.
- Each vendor can have multiple administrators to help in the management of their shop.
It does not have a front-end dashboard for vendors by default but you need an additional plugin called YITH Frontend Manager, for which you have to pay extra.
They charge you $99.99 for a single site and multi-site licenses are also available.
You might also consider joining the YITH club for which they charge you only $599.99 which is a big discount considering all the hundreds of WooCommerce themes and plugins which you get. Especially if you have or plan to create multiple Ecommerce website the YITH club will come in handy.
WC Vendors – WordPress Multivendor plugin
WC Vendors is a popular WordPress marketplace plugin you would find in the free plugin library. It has been trusted and used by more than 10,000 users because of the amazing features and functionalities it supports.
Key Features of WC Vendors Marketplace:
- Easily add vendors to your marketplace who want to sell physical or downloadable products
- Has a user-friendly front-end dashboard through this plugin, which is important for vendors to sell through your marketplace portal
- Can set your commission rates to be charged to the vendors in just a few simple steps
- Vendors can customize the design of their store on your marketplace, to a limited extent
- It includes a comprehensive shipping module using which the vendors can manage their logistics quite easily
- With WC Vendors it is easy to create separate vendor stalls or stores on your marketplace with unique URLs. This will help the vendors to build their web presence
- There is a free version with limited but practical features with which you can create a simple marketplace
- You can give the listed vendors detailed reports related to the sales that happen, the commission they have paid, the profits and similar other data points using this plugin. These reports will help them in making business growth strategies
- It also automatically notifies the vendors for every new order, thus helping them in making quick sale decisions
Creating a vendor account is a time-consuming process using this plugin.
There are 2 pricing plans available for WC Vendors Pro plugin,
- $199 for 1 year of support and updates
- $599 for Lifetime of support and updates
WordPress WooCommerce Multivendor Plugin by Webkul
If you are already having an eCommerce website built with WooCommerce and want to convert it into a multivendor marketplace then, WordPress WooCommerce Multivendor plugin by Webkul is what you need.
Key Features of WordPress WooCommerce Multivendor Plugin:
- You can use this plugin to create a multi-functional marketplace.
- It gives the vendors a well-designed seller panel that they can use to add, edit or delete the products they want to sell online
- The marketplace ‘Admin’ can also manage the products sold on your website and set commission rates for each vendor easily
- Can assign different products to different sellers for sale using this plugin
- This plugin supports the flexibility to manage commissions you charge to the vendors
- Has a Marketplace Auction plugin as an add-on to give Auctioning capablity to your multivendor marketplace
- This plugin supports all types of products, physical or electronic, to be sold through the marketplace
- It becomes easy for vendors to manage orders and invoices
- You can even connect social networks to the marketplace for easy reach to the millions of social media users
- The design is practical but looks very old and basic
- Doesn’t have an intuitive interface so wouldn’t be easy to beginners
It is sold on CodeCanyon for $99 for a single domain.
The Bottom Line
Building a marketplace portal using WordPress does require you to know about the best WordPress marketplace plugins you need, as detailed above.
So, look no further, choose a plugin that fits your needs and start building your Ecommerce multivendor marketplace.
Which plugin did you find useful? Have you tried any of these plugin? Tell us in the comments section.