Best sites for knowledge base examples have been built on a comprehensive understanding of what their customers are looking for and how they can find it instantly.
It would be pointless if your site has all the self-help information available and your customers are not able to find it. These self-help portals are called as Knowledge base sites and have knowledge base articles.
Creating a proper self-serving knowledge base site with proper structure and design would upgrade the customer service of your business and also reduce the workload on your support staff. It is important to learn the best designs and practices of knowledge base from the best knowledge base sites available. Let’s take a look at some of the best knowledge base examples, so that we can learn from them.
RechtEasy is Austria’s largest free legal reference book for law students in Austria. They have content covering all areas of law as taught at Austrian universities.
What is interesting is that they have used a WordPress knowledge base plugin to create a public wiki where anyone can add and edit contents in the wiki. Also it has good moderators who can approve the wiki articles.
Things you can learn from RechtEasy:
- Their wiki / knowledge base contains 1000’s of articles clearly classified into Categories and Sub-categories
- Though there are thousands of articles they can be easily searched using the quick search bar and it brings the article based to the level of partial keyword matching
- Adding a reference is very important in a public wiki and they have an Auto-linking capability that can be used to easily link articles within the wiki.
RechtEasy uses Helpie WordPress knowledge base plugin for their Wiki-Knowledge Base.
SharkDigital is a German SEO agency that offers services to improve your search engine ranking and organic traffic. They also have an SEO Academy that have content for beginners who want knowledge in basic SEO skill and important SEO related news.
Things you can learn from SharkDigital:
- SharkDigital knowledge base has a homepage with a wide Search Bar and the various topics arranged in clear columns
- They also list the most interesting and most searched articles in their homepage which is easier of new learners to navigate
- In the knowledge base Single pages they have embedded YouTube videos, Contact forms and allow easier social sharing
IntelePeer is a communication platform who provides SaaS for better customer communication. They provide various communication tools that have a clear documentation knowledge base.
Things you can learn from IntelePeer:
- All the products are clearly listed in the knowledge base homepage
- Their knowledge base Categories, Subcategories and individual articles are also well listed
- Also they have a knowledge base Sidebar and Breadcrumbs for better navigation
InSiteTrack has a well-structured set of articles which when searched for using the Search bar, displays all related articles with each article Topic having annotations and categories. In their knowledge base, customers not just to see the topic of the article but also get a peek into the contents of the articles.
They have made the best use of the Table of Contents, by clearly stating the categories and articles under each category.
Things InSiteTrake has done differently:
- Thumbs up and Thumbs down feedback system to know if the customer has liked the article.
- No.of reads has been added to know how many customers have read the article.
- Author Info is shown, so that customer knows who has written the article.
Papyrus Autor’s knowledge base (site is in German language) is an elegantly designed for their documentation and tutorial articles. They get straight to the point with sharp, searchable titles which are arranged in proper categories.
Things to Take Away from Papyrus:
- Defining each item in the menu so that customers know exactly what they want to read
- Using related Keywords to Tag each article which helps the customers to find the article quickly
- Using sharp, to the point titles to for your articles
Wiki demo is a uniquely designed Demo knowledge base. It has quite a few things which can be learnt from. They have a smart way of organizing the contents by which you systematically organize a large volume of contents.
Things to Learn from Wiki Demo:
- No. of articles in each topic is given below each topic.
- List of Recently Added articles and Recently Updated articles is shown in the front page.
- The total number of articles, topics and authors is shown on the front page.
Startup Demo is a smart knowledge base which shows the abundance of content just above the Search bar. Below the Search bar, there are FAQ boxes, which has a list of FAQs, which when clicked show a short and simple answer.
What Startup Demo has done well:
- List of popular articles, this list has the most read articles by customers
- Short and simple FAQs in the front page
- They have a sidebar with recently updated articles
Can you create a knowledge base like these sites?
Yes, you can. I have good news for you. All of these websites have used Helpie KB WordPress plugin to create their knowledge base sites. With Helpie you can create your own knowledge base with all of these features, and there are much more features you can add to your site.
A proper knowledge base can help cut down your customer support cost by more than 50%. So get Helpie now, to make your site the best knowledge base site.