Forms are an integral part of every website. WordPress being the most popular CMS to build a website comes with many solutions in the form of WordPress Form plugins.
Compared to SaaS alternatives such as Typeform, SurveyMonkey, Jotform, Google Forms, Microsoft Forms, etc. The native form plugins come with several advantages, the most important one being ‘affordability’.
You can do almost everything with WordPress Form plugins that you can do with online form-building platforms.
Not just a simple contact form but with WordPress forms you can do a whole lot like:
- Get email subscriptions from visitors and send the data to email marketing software
- Get autocomplete address in the form using Google Maps
- Getting opinions and ratings from your visitor
- Accept payments using forms
- Collect leads from your site and send it your CRM
- Create an online survey form to capture feedback from your visitors
- Create a user-submitted events calendar and allow users to submit events to a calendar on your website
There are several form plugins for creating a WordPress Contact Form. Each one has its own advantages and issues.
Best WordPress Form Plugins Comparison
Let’s compare these form plugins and find out the best WordPress form plugin that suits your purpose.
“” – Represents feature availability with 3rd Party plugins.
|Input Fields||13+ (10+)||25+||36+||40+||25+||45+||38+|
|Pricing||0 $||0 - 290 $||0 - 299 $||59 - 259 $||49 - 249 $||59 - 199 $||0 - 299 $|
|Surveys & Polls||✔||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Visual Reporting (Charts, Graph)||✔||✅||✅||❌||❌||✅||✅|
Contact Form 7
Contact Form 7 is one of the oldest and the most widely used WordPress contact form plugin. It is a fully free WordPress form plugin with a minimalistic markdown-like form editor. Using Contact Form 7 plugin you can quickly create and publish a functional form.
Key features of Contact Form 7
- A wide range of free Contact Form 7 add-ons are available to create a form with advanced features such as Conditional Logic, Multi-step Form, Surveys, and many more
- Gutenberg block available to embed Contact Form 7 forms in the block editor
- You can Import/Export forms from other sites
Contact Form 7 – Pros
- Comes with many free 3rd-party add-ons for extending the form features and integrating with apps such as Email marketing, CRMs, and more.
- Good documentation and YouTube video tutorials are available
- Developer friendly
Contact Form 7 – Cons
- Core plugin has very basic features and you have to install 3rd-party add-ons which makes you vulnerable to compatibility issues
- Not a visual form builder
- Lack of styling options
It is a good choice when you want to quickly create contact forms and if you’re creating advanced forms and you can’t afford to buy premium form plugins.
Forminator is an easy-to-use visual form builder plugin for WordPress created by WPMU DEV. It offers the most advanced form features in the free version. You can create a form in a visual drag and drop interface.
If you have forms created using the Contact Form 7 plugin can be imported to Forminator.
Key features of Forminator
- Can have Buzzfeed-style “no wrong answer” quizzes
- Can create interactive polls with real-time results
- Can be integrated with FortressDB to save form submissions to an external database for data privacy, security, and speed
- Has in-built GDPR features and you can configure auto-delete for form submissions
- Can be integrated with CleanTalk to protect your forms from spam submissions
Forminator – Pros
- It would be the best choice if you need a feature-loaded free WordPress form plugin
- Forminator is the only free visual form plugin that comes with payment integrations – PayPal and Stripe
- You can also integrate forms with popular email services, CRM, and storage apps
Forminator – Cons
- Does not have dedicated integrations with translation plugins such as WPML and PolyLang so it may not be the best option for multilingual sites
- You need to buy and integrate Forminator with the wpDataTables plugin to create frontend tables, graphs, and charts from the form submissions data
Forminator Pro Pricing:
Other than the E-Signature feature and integration with other WPMUDEV plugins, all other features are available in the free version.
Forminator Pro comes with 3 pricing plans.
- $60/year – for 1 site
- $140/year – upto 10 sites
- $290/year – unlimited sites
Forminator can be integrated with other WPMU DEV plugins such as Hustle Pro, Beehive Pro, etc., if you buy their monthly/yearly subscriptions.
WPForms is a popular freemium WordPress form plugin. It comes with a visual drag & drop interface for creating new forms. You can start from scratch or you can select and customize from their template library.
WPFroms Pro plugin has many advanced features such as Conditional Logic, User Registration, Multi-step Form, Surveys & Polls, Quiz, Calculations, and more.
Key features of WPForms:
- Comes with 22+ free form templates and 300+ Pro templates in various fields helping you to easily create many different types of forms
- Comes with good anti-spam options including Google reCAPTCHA, hCaptcha, and even a Custom Captcha
- Gives a custom widget for Elementor and a Gutenberg block for the block editor to embed the forms on pages and posts
WPForms – Pros
- Compatible issues with popular WordPress plugins and themes
- Pro version comes with 15+ app integrations for popular apps such as MailChimp, Zapier, Salesforce, and more
- Comes with some 4+ payment portal integrations such as PayPal, Stripe, Authorize.net, and Square
WPForms – Cons
- Some basic and important form features such as saving form entries, multi-page forms, are only available in the premium plugins
- Lack of visual styling options
- Pricing plans are on the costlier side
WPForms has 4 pricing plans. With each upgrade you get more features and more site licenses.
- Basic – $ 39 .50 / year
- Plus – $ 99 .50 / year
- Pro – $ 199 .50 / year
- Elite – 299 .50 / year
Gravity Forms is a premium WordPress visual form builder plugin. It is different from other plugins because all the other plugins in this list have a free version.
With the Gravity Forms plugin, you can quickly design and build your WordPress forms, select your fields, configure your options, and easily embed forms on your site. It is focused on security and comes with measures to keep your data safe.
Key features of Gravity Forms
- You can automate the workflows to show or hide fields, sections, pages, and buttons based on user selections
- Gravity Forms Gutenberg block available from which you can embed a form into a page
- You can apply Conditional Logic while you are embedding the form, this is unique compared to other form plugins
- A unique form field called Chained Selects Field is available with which visitors can have a cascade of dependent field choices
Gravity Forms – Pros
- Many 3rd party add-ons for app integrations available for Gravity Forms
- Unique payment portal integrations such as Mollie, 2Checkout, 2Checkout, Square, etc, are available
- Comes with some unique email marketing tool integrations Emma, CleverReach, EmailOctopus, & Mad Mimi, and also email notification integrations such as Mailgun, SendGrid, & Postmark.
Gravity Forms – Cons
- No free version is available, not even a free trial is provided
- No visible styling options are available
- Repeat Field is not available (their docs say it is beta)
Gravity Forms Pricing
Gravity Forms has the most straightforward and clear-cut pricing plans comparing all the other WordPress form plugins.
- Basic – $ 59/ Year – 1 site & basic add-ons
- Pro – $ 159/ Year – upto 3 sites & pro add-ons
- Elite – $ 259/ Year – unlimited sites & elite add-ons
Ninja Forms is another freemium WordPress form builder plugin with a visual drag & drop form builder interface.
It allows you to customize the email notifications and allow visitors to add blog posts and edit them from the front-end.
Key Features of Ninja Forms
- With the File Upload add-on, you can store submitted files to Google Drive, Dropbox, or Amazon S3
- You can integrate it with many CRM apps and send leads data to the CRMs such as Salesforce, HubSpot, Capsule CRM, Insightly CRM, Zoho CRM, Highrise CRM OnePageCRM, PipelineDeals CRM and amoCRM
- You can integrate forms with multiple payment portals such as Recurly, Elavon, Authorize.net, PayPal Express, and Stripe
Ninja Forms – Pros
- Can save form submissions to the database in the free version
- Can resize the form fields, add backgrounds, adjust borders, and more
- Comes with many (10+) email marketing integrations that are not available with other form plugins
Ninja Forms – Cons
- File Uploads are only available in the Pro version
- No visible styling options are available
Ninja Forms Pricing
Ninja Forms Pro has 3 plugin plans with various features and add-ons available in different plans.
- Personal – $ 49.50/year – Single Site
- Professional – $ 99.50/year – 20 Sites
- Agency – $ 249.50/year – Unlimited Sites
They have “à la carte” pricing plans also with the bundle and you can buy premium add-ons separately without having to buy the bundle.
Fluent Forms is another freemium WordPress visual form builder. It is a fast-growing form plugin that has quickly grown to 100,000+ installations (as of November 2021).
It not only saves the form submissions to the database but also you can edit form entries. You can also do advanced Data Filtering where you can see data by status and also by date range.
Key features of Fluent Forms
- The Fluent Forms Gutenberg Block is a content block for the WordPress Block-based editor Gutenberg.
- It comes with an Elementor widget to embed forms in the Elementor editor. It even gives you native styling options in Elementor editor to customize the forms.
- It has some unique forms fields such as:
- Phone Number Field can auto-detect users’ country based on their IP
- Country List Field allows users to choose a specific country from a list like selecting a trip destination
- Checkable Grid Field can function as a concise combination of multiple checkboxes or radio buttons
Fluent Forms – Pros
- Comes with 45+ form fields which are the highest compared to all other WordPress form plugins
- It has a FluentSMTP add-on for better email notification delivery using 3rd party SendGrid, Amazon SES, Sendinblue, Gmail OAuth, etc,.
- Can export the data in multiple file formats such as CSV, Excel, ODS, or JSON format
Fluent Forms – Cons
- Some basic but important features such as file uploads, form styler, etc, only available in the Pro version
- Comparing other form plugins it has a lesser number of 3rd part app integrations, so check if the desired app is available
Fluent Forms Pricing
Fluent Forms Pro has straightforward pricing plans and all the premium features are available in all of the plans. Also, it is the most affordable premium WordPress form plugin on this list.
- 1 Domain License – $59
- 5 Domain License – $129
- Unlimited Domain License – $199
Formidable Forms Builder
Formidable Forms is yet another freemium visual form builder plugin for WordPress with a drag & drop interface. It is a form plugin where you can embed the form within a form and you can even create collapsible form sections.
The free plugin has received 4.7 out of 5 stars from 802 user reviews.
Key features of Formidable Forms:
- Gives you 14+ Free form fields and 24+ Advanced form fields in Pro
- Has a Visual Form Styler to customize You can tweak every aspect of your forms, including form fields, font size, input fields, font family, and more.
- Comes with Akismet and CleanTalk integration for anti-spam protection in addition to Honeypot and reCAPTCHA
- Dynamic form fields that are dynamically populated with submitted entries or with categories/taxonomies. You can link entries together and allow users to make selections.
Formidable Forms – Pros
- Comes with 180+ Form Templates
- Can be integrated with both WPML and PolyLang for multilingual sites
- Automatically save User ID, browser, and OS of the user to form entry
Formidable Forms – Cons
- Email Newsletter Integrations are available only in higher-tier pricing plans
- Surveys, Quizzes & Polls features are also in the business which is quite costly
- Gives you multiple options to display form fields in the WordPress frontend
Formidable Forms Pricing
Formidable Forms Pro has 4 Pricing plans and for each higher-tier pricing plan number of features and integration increases.
- Basic – $39.50 /year for 1 Site
- Plus – $99.50 /year, up to 3 Sites
- Business – $199.50 /year, up to 7 Sites
- Elite – $299.50 /year for Unlimited Sites
Elementor Forms are available as a widget in the Elementor Pro plugin. If you’re an Elementor free page builder user, Elementor Forms is another reason to upgrade to Elementor Pro. Though it might have lesser features when compared to some of the form plugins in this list, being able to create and style a form in the Elementor editor interface is a big advantage, especially if you’re focused on form styling to match your brand.
Also, if you’re looking to integrate forms with pop-ups, it’s the best choice because you can combine Elementor forms with Elementor pop-up builder to create pop-up forms.
What do you think of the list of best WordPress form plugins? Which form plugin are you using on your WordPress site and what is the purpose of these forms?